Wednesday, July 5, 2017

God's Word brings reconciliation

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 - Devotions: Ps 119:145-76; 128-30; 1 Sam 12:1-6, 16-25; Acts 8:14-25; Lk 23:1-12

With my whole heart, I cry: YHWH, answer me.  I will keep Your statutes; save me, that I may observe Your testimonies.  I rise before dawn; I cry for help; I hope in Your words.  I watch through the night, that I may meditate on Your promises.  In Your steadfast love, YHWH, hear my voice; in Your justice, preserve my life.  Those who persecute me ignore Your law, and draw near with evil purpose.  You, O God, are even closer, and You are ever faithful; all Your commandments are true.  You have testified that Your testimonies are eternally valid.  Look on my affliction and deliver me, for I do not forget Your law.  Redeem me, Lord; give me life as You have promised.  Salvation is far from the wicked who ignore Your statutes.  Great is Your mercy, YHWH; give my life according to Your justice.  Though I have many persecutors and adversaries, I cleave to Your testimonies.  The faithless disgust me, who do not keep Your commands.  In Your steadfast love, preserve my life, since I love Your precepts so dearly.  All Your words are true' Your righteous ordinances endure forever.  My heart is in awe of Your word, though princes persecute me without cause.  I rejoice at Your word like one finding great treasure; I do Your commands and hope for salvation.  Let my cry come before You, YHWH; give me understanding that matches Your word.  My lips will pour forth Your praise; I will sing of Your word, for all Your commandments are right.  I choose Your precepts, so stand ready to lift me up, God.  I long for Your salvation, and Your law is my chief delight.  Let me live, to praise You; let Your ordinances be my help and stay.  I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek me out, God, for I do not forget Your commandments.  Blessed are all who fear and obey our God.  He makes our labor fruitful and provides our daily bread.  He makes our wives fertile and fills our homes with children.  May YHWH bless us from Zion; may we witness the prosperity of Jerusalem.  May we look upon our grandchildren.  And let God's peace rest on Israel!

After anointing Saul, Samuel addressed all Israel: 'Behold, I heard you and have made a king over you; he walks before you now.  I am old and gray.  If you bear me any accusation, make it now, before God and His anointed.  If I am guilty, I will set right my offenses.' The people replied, 'You have done nothing wrong.'  And Samuel answered, 'The Lord is witness, and so is His anointed one, that I have not offended you.'  And the people agreed.  The prophet continued: 'Now watch what YHWH will do before you all.  Today is wheat harvest day, isn't it?  I will call upon YHWH to send thunder and rain, to show you how great is your wickedness in asking YHWH for a human king.'  And this all came to pass, so that the people greatly feared YHWH and Samuel, His prophet.  The people begged him, 'Pray for us to the Lord your God, that we may not die for our sins.'  And the prophet answered, 'Fear not; you have done evil, but don't turn aside from following YHWH; serve Him with all your heart, turning from vain things which cannot profit or save.  YHWH will not cast His people aside, to protect His name, because He has chosen you as His own people.  Far be it from me, that I should sin by ceasing to pray for you; I will pray, and also instruct you in the way you should go.  Only fear YHWH and serve Him faithfully with your whole heart.  If you persist in wickedness, you will be swept away, both you and your king.'

The deacon and evangelist Philip was having great success in Samaria; and when the Jerusalem apostles heard of this, they sent Peter and John to them, that the converts might receive the Holy Spirit.  When the apostles laid hands on the converts, the Spirit was given them.  Seeing this, Simon Magus, the Samaritan mage, offered money, hoping to purchase the power to dispense the Holy Spirit.  Peter replied, 'May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain God's sovereign gift with money!  You have no part nor lot in this matter; your heart is not right before God.  Repent this wickedness and pray the Lord for forgiveness of the intent of your heart.  I see that you are in the gall of bitterness and the bond of iniquity.'  Simon answered, 'Pray for me to the Lord, that nothing you have said may come upon me!'  When the apostles had testified and spoke the word of the Lord, they returned to Jerusalem, preaching the Lord's gospel in many villages along their route.

His accusers brought Jesus before the Roman governor Pontius Pilate and began to accuse Him: 'We found this man perverting our nation and forbidding us to give tribute to Caesar, say that he himself is Messiah, a king.'  Pilate asked Jesus, 'Are you the king of the Jews?'  Jesus replied, 'You have said so.'  Pilate said to the chief priests and the mob with them, 'I find no crime in this man.'  But the Jews were adamant: 'He stirs up the people, teaching throughout all Judea, from Galilee to this very spot.'  Hearing this, Pilate inquired whether Jesus was Galilean; learning that Jesus was under Herod's jurisdiction, he sent Him over to Herod.  This pleased Herod greatly, for he had wanted to meet Jesus and see Him do some miracle.  Herod interrogated Jesus at length, but received no answer, while the chief priests and scribes stood by vehemently accusing Jesus.  Herod and his soldiers treated Jesus with contempt and mocked Him; then, arraying Jesus in gorgeous apparent, Herod returned Him to Pilate.  The Roman and Hasmonean leaders became fast friends that day, who had been at enmity previously.

No comments: