Friday, March 10, 2017

Life! In Christ!

Friday, March 10 - Devotions: Ps 40, 51, 54, 95; Deut 10:12-22; Heb 4:11-16; Jn 3:22-36

Mired in a desolate pit, I waited patiently for YHWH, and He drew me up and set me on a rock.  He put a new song of praise to God in my mouth!  Blessed are all who put their trust in YHWH, and who shun false mortals and false deities.  Lord, You have multiplied wondrous deeds and marvelous thoughts to us.  You help me to listen carefully; I delight to do Your will; You have written your word in my heart.  In the great congregation I will share the good news of God's deliverance, telling of Your faithfulness and steadfast love, which preserve me.  I am a sinner, but You have blessed me; bring to shame and confusion all who oppose you, all who seek me destroy me.  Hasten, Lord, my Help and Deliverer!  Wash me thoroughly; cleanse me from all sin.  I know that You desire truth in our innermost being; teach me wisdom in my secret heart. Purge me; fill me with joy; hide Your face from my iniquities; blot out my sins, dear Lord!  Create in me a clean heart, a new and upright spirit; restore to me the joy of my salvation; open my lips that I may shout Your praise--the only sacrifice that I can make that is acceptable before You, Holy Lord.  Vindicate me; hear my prayers; I leave my enemies to Your judgment and justice.  I give thanks to Your name which alone is good, and turn from all enemies.  Let all God's people make a joyful noise to the Rock of our salvation!  Our YHWH is a great God, the great high King above all gods.  He holds nature in His hand; all is His; and He made all that exists.  Let us worship and bow down, kneeling before YHWH our Maker; we are His flock.

Moses declaimed: 'What does YHWH your God require: fear God; walk in all His ways; love and serve Him with all your heart and soul, and keep His good commandments.  He made and owns everything, yet He has chosen you before all peoples.  So: circumcise your hearts; slough off your stubbornness and rebellion!  Our God is the only One, and He Is entirely just and impartial.  He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, for the alien and refugee.  Love the sojourners as God has loved us; serve Him, cleave to Him, swear only by His name!  He Is our Praise, and He has preserved and multiplied us, to His glory!

Let us strive to enter His rest!  God's word is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword; it penetrates to divide soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  All creatures are laid bare, entirely transparent before our God!  And we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens--namely, Jesus, God's Son--let us hold fast our confession.  He has been tempted in every way just as we are, yet He is without sin!  Therefore, let us with confidence draw near the throne of grace, to receive mercy and the grace we need.

Jesus and His disciples traveled into Judea, where they were baptizing.  Some of John the Baptizer's followers got into a dispute with a Jew, concerning purification.  The parties appealed to John, saying that Jesus, the One John had affirmed, was now baptizing more than John himself.  John replied, 'No one can receive anything except what heaven provides.  You heard me testify: I am not the Messiah, but was sent before Him.  The bride belongs to the groom, and the groom's friend rejoices at His voice and at the approaching marriage. This joy is mine, and now is full.  Jesus comes from above, and testifies to matters no earth-dweller can know--He demonstrates that God Is true.  The Father loves the Son and has given all things into His hand.  All who believe in the Son have eternal life, while any who disobey the Son shall not see life; instead, God's wrath rests upon them.

No comments: